City of Thunder Bay Logo

1992-01-79

This newspaper clipping shows Port Arthur’s first fire engine, as modeled by Walter Drew and Sandy Harkes. According to the newspaper caption, the engine’s patent was 1867, and was delivered to Port Arthur eight years later. It was owned by W.J. Schwigler, who let the Fire Brigade borrow it when it was needed.

The sign above the engine reads: "100 years of Firefighting Port Arthur's First Fire Engine"

The newspaper caption reads: "Port Arthur's first fire engine has been polished up for centennial celebrations and a sneak preview was given at the Current River Station today. The engine was brought to the city, then Prince Arthur's Landing, in 1875 and was in use until the turn of the century. It was owned by the late W.J. Swingler [sic] and donated to the city by his son-in-law, Ald. H. Hogarth, July 14, 1949. The patent on the old-timer is 1867. Trying it out are deputy fire chief W. Drew, left, and fireman Sandy Harkes."

City of Thunder Bay Archives Series Number: 129
Accession Number: 1991-01#79