Skip Navigation
 
City Government

Waterfront Fast Fact #8 The Canadian Northern Railway Station was constructed during 1905 and 1906. The architect’s name was Ralph B. Bratt.

Waterfront Tourism & Recreation Plan – Final Report 1990


North area of the Waterfront - 1981

The Waterfront Tourism & Recreation Master Plan and Final Report was released in September 1990. The report was prepared by Moore / George Associates Inc., Landscape Architects and Urban Designers, and Andersen Management Services, under the guidance of a steering committee with representatives from public groups with an interest in the Waterfront.

1990 Report

Excerpts from the
1990 Report

The report served to consolidate existing studies and compile one comprehensive planning document, and is an accumulation of background information, public consultations, prepared development options, and a finalized master plan for development. When enacted, the master plan would enhance tourism, local recreation, and environmental conditions of the southern waterfront along the Kaministiquia River.

The highest-priority projects in the South Core were the Donald Street Pedestrian Underpass, Mission Marsh Conservation Area, Kaministiquia River Environmental Rehabilitation, the Mission Island Marina Project, and the Kaministiquia Heritage Park. Land acquisition and development was also highlighted in the report, especially around Current River Park, Floodway Lookout Park, 110th Street Park, Kam River Woodlot, and Mountdale. Two of the greatest successes of the plan were the construction of the 550-metre-long river walk on the Kaministiquia River and the public art competition that spurred the 1992 installation of ‘Animikii – Flies the Thunder.’

The Kaministiquia Heritage Park was to be heavily developed. Since the 1983 Survey of the Marina identified “walking through the park” and “viewing the scenery” as the two most common recreational activities, it was apparent that a scenic promenade would be a significant improvement to the Kaministiquia Heritage Park. The proposal was to create a 550-metre riverfront promenade with three river outlooks/overlooks, and numerous shady areas and benches for sitting. Grassy areas along the promenade were to be landscaped and maintained for passive recreation and viewing. For the central plaza, the City proposed that the Carousel be relocated from Chippewa Park to the Kaministiquia Heritage Park. Additionally, the Park was to be adorned with Thunder Bay heritage themes.

As well as enhancing pedestrian traffic through the park, access to the park was another focus: suggestions included better pedestrian and vehicular pathways to the park, and parking lot improvements. The plan was largely focused on implementation, and identified recreational and commercial public and private sector development opportunities. All proposed improvements aimed at drawing in the public and creating an attraction for citizens and tourists alike.

Report location: TBA 5860-47

For more information on this subject, or any other subject of interest, please visit or contact the City of Thunder Bay Archives