1. How do I find out which ward I live in and who is my ward Councillor?
Councillors’ names, phone numbers and wards are available in our City Council section and listed in the TBayTel telephone directory. The Ward Map is also available. The Office of the City Clerk can also assist you in identifying your ward. For more information call 625-2230.
2. How do I submit information to City Council?
Residents and businesses can arrange to have a letter included in an agenda or to make a deputation or presentation to Council’s Committee of the Whole by writing to the City Clerk, City Hall, P.O. Box 800, Thunder Bay, ON P7C 5K4, (807) 625-2230.
3. When and where do City Council and Committee of the Whole meetings take place?
City Council and Committee of the Whole meetings are held on Mondays. Dates are shown in the Calendar. Meetings are held in Council Chambers, on the third floor of City Hall, 500 Donald St. E. For more information, contact the Office of the City Clerk at (807) 625-2230.
5. How can I see Agendas and Minutes for City Council and Committee of the Whole?
Agendas and Minutes are available online from the City Government section or available for viewing in the Office of the City Clerk at City Hall, 500 Donald St. E., 625-2230.
6. Where do I obtain a Birth, Marriage or Death Certificate?
The application form for these certificates can be obtained from the Office of the City Clerk at City Hall, 500 Donald St. E. Further information is available online by visiting the Service Ontario website.
7. Where do I obtain a Marriage Licence and get information on marriage ceremonies?
Marriage Licences are obtained from the City Clerk's office where an application must be completed by both parties. The fee for a marriage licence is $100 (cash, debit, Visa or MasterCard only).
The City of Thunder Bay performs Wedding ceremonies. The fee for this service is $300. Contact the Office of the City Clerk at (807) 625-2230.
8. Where can I obtain a Commissioner's or Notary's Signature?
A Commissioner’s signature can be obtained from the Office of the City Clerk at City Hall. No appointment is required. For a Notary’s Signature, we suggest that an appointment be made prior to coming to the office as arrangements must be made with Legal Services at (807) 625-2413.
9. How can I get a copy of a By-law?
A number of by-laws are available on our web site at Policies and By-laws. If you do not find information on the By-law you are looking for, or to obtain a true copy of a By-law, contact the City Clerk's office at 625-2230.
11. Where do I go to pay my tax bill? How can I go about getting my tax bills automatically taken out of my bank account?
Information including payment options is available at the Property Taxes section, or contact the Revenue Division at 625-2255.
12. Where can I get information on deck, fence, garage and other renovations?
Information is available in the Building or Renovating section of Life Events, or contact the Building Division, Victoriaville Civic Centre, at (807) 625-2574.
13. Where can I find information about moving to Thunder Bay?
Information is available in the Moving to Thunder Bay section of Life Events, or you may wish to visit the Community Economic Development Commission Website for demographics and the Tourism Thunder Bay Website for other points of interest.
14. Who can I contact to find out why my garbage didn't get picked up?
Contact the Infrastructure & Operations Dispatch at 625-2195, 24 hours a day, or get information on garbage pick-up and sorting from our Waste Resource Innovation Centre at (519) 767-0598. More information is available on the City website on the Recycling & Waste Management page.
16. Where can I buy a City of Thunder Bay flag?
Flags are available for purchase from the following Maier Hardware Stores: 183 S. Algoma St., 345-1492, 1515 Brown St., 577-6465, 620 Simpson St., 623-6052.
17. How do I make a claim?
If you have incurred costs for which you believe the City may be responsible, you must place the City on notice within 10 days of the incident. The Municipal Act requires that the City receive notification in writing. We suggest that in all cases of damage you contact your insurance company or broker. For more information, contact the Office of the City Clerk at City Hall, 500 Donald St. E. or call (807) 625-2230.
19. Who do I contact if my pet is lost?
Call the Animal Services Pet Locator Line at 345-4156 or visit the Animal Services section for more information.
20. Who do I contact about maintenance of my boulevard tree or to request a tree on my boulevard?
Contact the Parks Division at 625-2351 before building or landscaping near municipal trees, to request approval to plant or do minor trimming on a boulevard tree, or to inquire about being added to the waiting list for a boulevard tree.
21. Who do I call for information on community, social and government services?
Call 211 for free, confidential information for non-emergency community, social, health and government services, 24 hours, 365 days a year.
22. How do I find out my bus route, or when the next bus is coming?
Call the Thunder Bay Transit 24-hour information line at 684-3744 or find Next Bus and other information on the Transit Home Page.