Skip Navigation
City Government

Commissioner of Oaths

Service Fees - effective April 1, 2013
(Fees do not include HST) 
Service   Fees
 Office of the City Clerk - 1st Floor City Hall  
 Oath of Affidavit/Statutory Declaration
 by Commissioner of Oaths


Notary Public Services

Please note that effective July 2, 2014 the City Solicitors Office no longer will provide Notary Services to the public.  If you require any Notary Services, please contact a lawyer and/or notary public for these services.

Commissioner of Oaths


Many documents require that the person signing the document do so under oath before either a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits or a Notary Public. (If you object to taking a sworn oath on religious grounds, it is acceptable to solemnly affirm the document.)

Sometimes, government or international offices require people to provide “certified” or “notarized” copies of original documents, together with specific forms for various purposes.

The City may assist you, in some circumstances, by providing the services of a Commissioner of Oaths. If the document specifies Notary Services, contact a lawyer for these services.


Read the document completely in advance. This is extremely important as you will be swearing that the statements in the document are true. When signing under oath, you are swearing as if you are testifying in a court of law that the document contains true statements.

Bring with you everything that you will need, including any letter of instruction from the person or office requesting the sworn statement.

If a sworn statement indicates that there are copies of documents to be attached, you must bring those original documents with you, as well as the copies to be attached. Otherwise, the oath cannot be administered by the Commissioner.

Do not sign the document in advance. You must sign the document in the presence of the Commissioner.

You must show valid photo identification. The Commissioner must be satisfied that you are the person who you claim to be and the person named on the document before administering the oath.

You must be eighteen years of age to take an oath in regard to a document. If a person under the age of eighteen is required to take an oath, additional notation will be made on the document.

If a witness is required, you should bring someone who knows you with you. The witness must not be your spouse, your child or another relative. The witness may be required to swear an Affidavit of Witness before a Commissioner that states that he or she saw you sign the document and that you are who you claim to be.

If the document is in a language other than English, the City cannot provide Commissioner Services.

Pension Documents from Other Countries: 
There are a number of residents of Canada who were born in other countries and are entitled to receive pensions from their country of birth. These pensions require periodic verification that the pensioner is still living. A Commissioner can provide this service.

Passport Applications:
Sworn Statement: If you require a sworn statement on an application for a Canadian passport, a Commissioner can administer the oath and complete your statement.

Guarantor: A guarantor, including a lawyer, cannot sign your application unless he or she has known you for a period of at least two years. The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (Passport Canada) will sometimes follow up by telephone with the guarantor to verify the facts in the guarantor’s statement.


The City cannot authenticate documents. Find the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website at (then select A-Z Services Index and click “A” for Authentication of Documents. The City cannot provide notarial certificates, certified true copies, or documents specifically requesting a notary public.

The Commissioner cannot provide you with any advice with respect to the documents that you are swearing. You need to read and fully understand the documents yourself.

The Commissioner has the right to refuse to commission documents where there is a possibility that the Commissioner or Notary Public may be required to testify in a court of law.

The City will not process documents relating to family law, estates or real estate matters. You need to take these documents to a lawyer for appropriate advice and assistance.

The Commissioner reserves the right to refuse to commission documents for persons who are not capable of understanding them.


See price chart above, or check the City of Thunder Bay User Fee By-law for applicable updated fees. This by-law is available online at Use the search feature with the keywords “user fee” and select the most recent by-law by year.

Alternatively, please call the City Clerk’s office at 625-2230 on weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for further information.


The Office of the City Clerk provides municipal document certification services and the services of a Commissioner of Oaths. You do not need an appointment. The Office is located at Thunder Bay City Hall.

The Office of the City Clerk has Commissioners on staff during office hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).

Office of the City Clerk: 625-2230

500 Donald Street East
Thunder Bay, ON P7E 5V3