Skip Navigation
 
City Government

News Releases

< Back to Calendar
Property Owner Ticketed For Carbon Monoxide Alarm Violation
Date: March 1, 2018
Time: 12:59 PM
Email Event

March 1, 2018 – A Ridgeway Street property owner has been ticketed for failing to install a carbon monoxide alarm where required. The ticket carries a fine of $360.  

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to a structural fire at the residence on February 12. The fire was confined to the kitchen area and was quickly extinguished. During the fire investigation, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue investigators discovered there was no carbon monoxide alarm outside the sleeping areas. 

“Only a working carbon monoxide alarm can alert you to the deadly presence of CO,” said Fire Chief John Hay. “Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and invisible gas. Without a CO alarm, you’d never know it was present in your home”.

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reminds residents that it is the law to have working smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside all sleeping areas.  Carbon Monoxide alarms are required to be installed outside all sleeping areas if your home has a fuel fired appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. For more information residents are encourage to visit www.thunderbay.ca/fire. 

- 30 -

Contact: Anthony Stokaluk, Public Education Officer – Thunder Bay Fire Rescue, 625-2802 (office), 631-7033 (cell) or astokaluk@thunderbay.ca