Skip Navigation
 
City Government

Cause of Jan. 31 Structural Fire Determined


An investigation by Thunder Bay Fire Rescue has concluded that the structural fire that occurred at 176 Riverside Drive on Jan. 31, 2013, was the result of careless disposal of smoking material.

When the initial crew arrived, the attached garage was fully involved and the fire had already spread to the roof of the home. Crews from five different stations battled the blaze. The weather and cold temperatures caused concern for freezing hose lines. No injuries were reported as a result of this fire, but the home suffered significant damage.

Fire Chief John Hay reminds residents “to dispose of smoking materials into a metal container, not a garbage can, and keep it outside”.  Careless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths.

-30-

Contact: Anthony Stokaluk, Public Education Officer, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue, 625-2802 or cell: 631-7033