Skip Navigation
 
City Government

Empire Avenue Fire Caused by Malfunctioning Appliance


March 26, 2013 – The investigation into the cause of a fire which damaged an Empire Avenue home has been determined to be as a result of a malfunctioning appliance.

On the afternoon of Tuesday, March 26, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to a report of smoke coming from the roof of a home on Empire Avenue. They arrived to discover a working fire in the kitchen area of the home. The fire was quickly extinguished, but not before substantial fire, heat and smoke damage occurred. No one was home at the time of the fire and no onewas injured during the extinguishment.

A subsequent fire investigation hasdetermined this fire is a result of a malfunctioning refrigerator.

Fire Chief John Hay reinforced the importance of working smoke alarms, “Had this fire occurred during the evening hours, it could have been deadly.”

For further information, please contact the Fire Prevention Office of theThunder Bay Fire and Rescue Service at 625-2650. 

-30-

Contact: Eric Nordlund, Captain, Fire Prevention, 625-3617 or cell:627-4528.