Profile - Councillor Iain Angus
Councillor Iain Angus
672 Churchill Place
Thunder Bay, ON P7C 5Y8
Res/Bus: (807) 474-0926
Fax: (807) 474-0881
Iain Angus, Councilor at Large (2003 to 2018) has a solid background working at the federal, Aboriginal, provincial and municipal orders of government. His background in government, community and strategic planning gives him the strengths that he knows are needed to represent the people of Thunder Bay on City Council.
After five years of community development and marketing experience as an employee with the City of Thunder Bay, Iain Angus was elected to the Ontario Legislature in 1975, serving until 1977. He returned to the City as a Park Development Officer and remained in that position until 1984.
He was elected a Member of Parliament for the Riding of Thunder Bay-Atikokan in the General Election of 1984, with subsequent re-election in 1988. As Transportation Spokesperson and Parliamentarian, he gained a reputation as a hard working individual, with an ability to see both sides of an issue. In 1993, he left electoral politics and formed Iain Angus and Associates, specializing in the fields of Transportation, Government, and Regulatory Affairs.
In 2001, he jointly founded the The Friends of Chippewa Park and began to work as part of this group to restore, preserve, and promote the park where he grew up so that it can reach its full potential as a public recreation area. This is just one example of his commitment to finding new ways to get things done in our City.
He decided run for City Council so that he could put his experience to work on the many issues facing our City including job creation and retention.
Current Boards & Committees:
- District of Thunder Bay Social Services Administration Board
- City of Thunder Bay Community Communications Committee
- Inter-Governmental Affairs Committee
- City of Thunder Bay Appeals Committee, Community, Youth and Cultural Funding
- Vice-President Northern Ontario Municipal Association
- Executive Director (Volunteer) Common Voice Northwest
- Co-Chair, Common Voice Northwest Energy Task Force
- Secretary, North of Superior Travel Association
- Secretary, the Friends of Chippewa Park
- Chair for Committee of the Whole Community Services Session
- Waterfront Development Committee
- Ontario Energy Board Standing Committee on Regional Planning
Past Boards & Committees:
- City of Thunder Bay Co-Chair, Solid Waste Task Force
- City of Thunder Bay Chair, Administrative Committee on Sign By-law
- City of Thunder Bay Chair, Non-Union Compensation Ad Hoc Committee
- Chair, Ontario Forestry Coalition
- Lakehead Region Conservation Authority
- Thunder Bay District Board of Health
- Vice-Chair Community Care Access Centre
- Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce Transportation Committee
- Transport 2000 Orange Award - Recognizing leadership leading to environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable public transport policies and actions.
- Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce Presidents Award (1993, 2001)
- Seaway Person of the Year - Great Lakes Commission/St. Lawrence Seaway Secretariat 1990.
- National Transportation Week award for "Outstanding Contribution to Transportation in Canada." (1994)