Skip Navigation

Private Home Child Care Providers

becoming a provider

The Private Home Child Care Program is always looking for Providers who are interested in caring for children in their homes. Are you the kind of person who can provide the love, care and attention that a child needs? Providing home child care is both demanding and tremendously rewarding. It takes a person with patience, love of children, good health, emotional maturity, dependability, self-motivation and good communication skills. 


  • Contract with the City of Thunder Bay
  • Licensed by the Ministry of Education
  • Ongoing support, training and resources from the Private Home Child Care Worker
  • Coordinated child care arrangements
  • Guaranteed compensation even when child is absent (according to allotment) - paid on a regular basis
  • No exchange of money between yourself and the parent(s)
  • Flexible hours and days of care
  • Taxation benefits as a small business operator - self employed
  • Additional liability coverage available
  • Lending library of resources, toys and equipment for a nominal fee
  • Access to special needs professionals

Is this program right for you? Can you:

Image of child care provider reading to children
  • Offer a suitable location and space in your home
  • Provide flexible hours of care to accommodate parents' work schedules
  • Offer a safe, healthy and stimulating environment for children
  • Provide nutritional meals and snacks following the Canada Food Guide
  • Work with the Private Home Child Care Worker
  • Follow the Private Home Child Care Early Years Act

This can be a rewarding opportunity for you to work with families in your community!


If you are interested in applying to the Private Home Child Care Program, please fill out the online form below:

Email completed forms to:

Or mail to:

Private Home Municipal Child Care
Ogden Community Centre
600 McKenzie St. 
Thunder Bay, ON.
P7C 4Z3
Attn: Carla Aiken

For additional information, call the office at (807) 623-1767 or review the Licensed Home Child Care Binder below:

The agency will contact you if there is a need for services in your area.