Setting out your Garbage
How to Set Out Your Garbage and Recycling
Set out by 7 am on day of pick up or no earlier than 4 pm the day prior to pick up.
The basic garbage collection limit is THREE cans or bags each collection week.
Use proper garbage containers as set out in the Thunder Bay Municipal Code Chapter 826, Garbage Collection Disposal.
A Garbage Can with Lid
Maximum Size: 32 inches high (without lid)
Maximum Weight: 18kg (40 lbs.)
A proper garbage can must have a watertight lid, be made of metal or plastic, and have two handles for lifting. Lids must be tight fitting but easily removable (not tied or secured to can in any way).
Containers shall be kept in a sanitary condition.
A Garbage Bag
Standard Size: up to 26" by 36" or 66 cm wide X 91 cm high.
Maximum Weight: 18kg (40 lbs.).
A proper garbage bag must be strong, properly sealed and contain no sharp objects. Small grocery bags must be placed in larger garbage bags.
Do not use cardboard boxes as waste containers.
Each item can be a garbage bag, can or bundle, weighing up to 40 lbs. (18.1 kg) when full. Garbage bags should be green or black and must be 1.5 mil thick. Please do not use see-through bags for garbage. See-through bags are for recyclables only.
- Place garbage and recycling a few feet apart at the curb so they can be easily see them.
- Always place garbage at ground level. During the winter, never place items on snow banks.
- Safely wrap broken glass or sharp objects and ensure they are marked "Glass".
- Animal waste should be sealed, wrapped and double bagged and placed in with your regular garbage. No more than 20 lbs. of animal waste per pick up.
- For information on the safe disposal of needles and sharps, contact 625-2195.
- Liquid garbage.
- Construction waste such as plaster.
- Cardboard - please recycle at the curb.
- Hazardous waste - drop off paint, oils, pesticides, batteries, spent fluorescent tubes etc. at the City of Thunder Bay Solid Waste and Recycling Facility.
City of Thunder Bay
Infrastructure & Operations Department
Waste Management Section
||155 Front St|
P.O. Box 800
Thunder Bay ON P7C 5K4
||(807) 625-2195 - 24 hours|