Road Work Ahead
Road construction projects under way in Thunder Bay can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce their speed, be alert, watch for workers and drive with extra care in construction zones.
2013 Construction Projects Map Adobe PDF, 1 page, 1.3 MB
See the spread in the April/May edition of MyTBay citizen newsletter outlining details of 2013 construction projects.
Construction projects around Thunder Bay will continue in October and November as the busy construction season wraps up. Projects include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, residential paving and sewer and watermain repair/replacement/lining, along with bridge work and streetlight renewal.
The City of Thunder Bay’s Asset Management Plan outlines the inventory, condition and needs for each asset. The Plan is used to determine priorities for projects for the Capital Budget.
The City is investing $32 million on roads, bridges, sidewalks, streetlights, sewers, watermains and related infrastructure. In addition, City Council has approved an Enhanced Infrastructure Renewal Program of an additional $4 million to the Roads’ Capital Budget in 2013.
The following areas are scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic this fall.
Temporary Street Closures Will Be In Effect:
Monday, Nov. 11, from 10 to 11:20 am, Red River Road from Hebert Street to Algoma Street, and Waverley Street from Red River Road to Algoma Street, for the Remembrance Day Parade.
Sewer & Watermain Work
- Storm sewer work is slated for Sycamore Avenue. Expect closures to through traffic on Sycamore Avenue and Parkway Drive for most of October.
- Watermain and sanitary sewer reconstruction work is scheduled for Frankwood Avenue from Oliver Road to Hartland Street. Access will be restricted to local traffic only.
- Sanitary sewer work, curb work, street lighting and repaving is scheduled for Frederica Street between Neebing Avenue and James Street. Block-to-block closures will be necessary.
- James Street from Vale Crescent to Limbrick Street, and Limbrick Street from James Street to Redwood Avenue will be reduced to local traffic only for watermain work and pavement rehabilitation.
- Storm sewer installation on Copper Crescent from Tungsten Street to the first corner will result in periodic road closures. Please follow construction signage.
- Storm sewer installation and road rehabilitation on McTavish Street from Pacific Avenue to McNaughton Street will result in periodic road closures. Please follow construction signage.
- Beverly Street from Winnipeg Avenue to Balmoral Street will be closed for sewer/watermain work and pavement rehabilitation.
- Toledo Street from Chamberlain Street to Huron Avenue will be closed for watermain work.
- Improvements to the concrete ramp structure at the Marina Park Pedestrian Overpass began in August and will last through October. Access to the overpass will be closed for the duration.
- Work on the Cameron Street Bridge continues and is expected to be complete in the third week of October. Cameron Street is closed to through traffic for the duration.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
- Work on Golf Links Road continues between Central Avenue and Oliver Road. The road is closed except for limited local access. An alternate route to Golf Links Community Clinic is available via Burwood Road.
- Bike lane painting continues along the new routes including Leslie Avenue, High Street, Arundel Street, Victoria Avenue and Oliver Road. Expect paint trucks and traffic control; please obey posted signage.
- Sprague Street from Walsh Street to Francis Street will be under construction. Local access only. Some driveway disruption is possible.
- Road resurfacing is scheduled for Scotland Street and Selkirk Street. Watch for lane closures as the work proceeds.
- Residential paving is slated for Rosedale Avenue, Kenogami Avenue, Carrie Street, Bruce Street and Nor’Wester Drive. Watch for lane closures and possible block-to-block road closures as work proceeds. Local access will be permitted.
- Sidewalk replacement work is scheduled for Northern Avenue. Sidewalks may be closed during construction. Interruptions to driveway access.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction only. Work including sidewalk replacements is also proceeding in residential areas and other areas around the City. The schedule is subject to change. Watch for monthly, updated information on construction work within the City.
Updates for 2013 were issued:
- June 6
- July 4
- August 1
- Sept. 5
- Oct. 3
Work on projects may result in traffic disruption. Road closures and detours may result in delays for drivers. Please SLOW DOWN in construction zones and watch for signage and reduced speed limits.