Road construction projects under way in Thunder Bay can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce their speed, be alert, watch for workers and drive with extra care in construction zones.
Temporary Street Closures Will Be In Effect:
Saturday, May 11, from 9:45 am to 11 am, West Lyon Boulevard from Gibson Street to Black Bay Bridge, East Lyon Boulevard from Black Bay Bridge to Rita Street and Algoma Street from MacDougall Street to Gibson Avenue will be closed for the Thunder Bay Run for Women Established 1980.
Monday, May 20, from 8 am to 12 noon, May Street from Arthur Street to Donald Street, Arthur Street from Brodie Street to May Street, complete street closure from intersection of Simpson/Arthur/May Streets north along Simpson Street to Fort William Road, to Water Street, to Marina Park Overpass, then through Marina Park returning along the same route, for the Firefighter’s Ten Mile Road Race.
Sewer & Watermain Work
• Watermain and storm sewer replacement as well as street resurfacing work will take place on Waterloo Street from Arthur Street to Walsh Street.
• Van Horne Street between Court Street and Algoma Street will be shut down for sewer/watermain replacement.
• Beverly Street from Winnipeg Avenue to Balmoral Street will be closed for sewer/watermain work and pavement rehabilitation.
• Work on the Cameron Street Bridge has begun and is expected to last throughout the construction season. Cameron Street is closed to through traffic for the duration.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
• Stage I of the Golf Links/Junot Corridor road construction and widening begins Wednesday, May 1. Initial stages of the project will see Golf Links Road from the Harbour Expressway to Central Avenue closed to through traffic in both directions for up to 12 weeks. A posted detour will be marked.
• A subsequent closure on May 8 will extend to the south closure limit of through traffic to William Street. At this point, only east-west traffic movements on the Harbour Expressway will be permitted. This closure will be in effect for approximately four weeks until temporary signalized traffic control at the Harbour Expressway intersection is re-established.
• Road resurfacing is scheduled for Cumberland Street, Onion Lake Road and Neebing Avenue. Watch for lane closures as the work proceeds.
• Residential paving is slated for 20th Sideroad, Home Avenue, Nipigon Avenue, and Rosedale Avenue.
• Final paving and sidewalk work is expected to proceed on the perimeter streets surrounding the new Consolidated Courthouse in the South core. There will be block-to-block closures to traffic and parking as the work continues.
• Please note that businesses in the areas of the construction zones around Victoria Avenue and the Waterfront district BIAs are open for business as work proceeds.
Residential paving projects have increased with the EIRP funding of $1.5 million to mill and resurface streets.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction only. Work including sidewalk replacements is also proceeding in residential areas and other areas around the City. The schedule is subject to change. Watch for monthly, updated information on construction work within the City.
Updates for 2013 will be issued:
Work on projects may result in traffic disruption. Road closures and detours may result in delays for drivers. Please SLOW DOWN in construction zones and watch for signage and reduced speed limits.