Road Work Ahead
Road construction projects underway in Thunder Bay can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce their speed, be alert, watch for workers and drive with extra care in construction zones.
See page 4 of the April/May edition of MyTBay citizen newsletter for an article on 2014 road work:
Adobe PDF, 12 pages, 5.87 MB
You may also wish to view the 2014 Road Work Program Map. Details in the Map become visible when the user zooms in:
Adobe PDF, 1 page, 1 MB
2014 Construction projects around Thunder Bay have begun. Projects include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, residential paving and sewer and watermain repair/replacement/lining, along with bridge work and streetlight renewal.
These projects are funded by the City’s Capital Budget, including $8.25 million from the Enhanced Infrastructure Renewal Program, and some receive additional funding through the Federal Gas Tax Program.
Watch for monthly, updated information on construction work within the City.
The following areas are scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic from Aug. 7 to Sept. 4.
Temporary street closures will be in effect:
- Every Wednesday until Aug. 27 from 4 – 9:30 pm, Sleeping Giant Parkway from Pearl Street to Saul Laskin Drive, Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive South to Bobby Curtola Drive North, and Bobby Curtola Drive from Saul Laskin Drive to Marina Park Overpass, for Summer in the Parks
- Saturday, Aug. 23, from 7 am - 6:30 pm, Frederica Street from 135 E Frederica St to 218 W Frederica St, Brown Street from the intersection of Frederica Street to south of Frederica Street, and Edward Street from the intersection of Frederica Street to south of Edward Street, for the Westfort Village Street Fair
Road Work Ahead:
The following are areas scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic this month.
Sewer & Watermain Work
- Arthur Street between Edward Street and Tarbutt Street is scheduled for road reconstruction including watermain and storm sewer. The project will begin in early June and continue for approximately 15 weeks. Work will proceed in stages over multi-block sections. One-lane traffic will apply in each direction through the construction zone. Please obey posted signage regarding left-turn restrictions.
Cornwall Avenue from Algoma Street to Crown Street will be closed to traffic for sewer and watermain work.
- Sewer and watermain work on Conmee Street between Chamberlain Street and Oswald Street is underway. Please follow construction signs.
Peter Street from Hebert Street to Dawson Street will be closed to traffic for sewer and watermain work.
Whalen Street from River Street to the dead end will be restricted to local traffic only for the replacement of the existing watermain and repaving of the road.
Sewer and watermain work will be underway on Harold Street from Victoria Avenue to Donald Street. Local traffic only. Please obey posted signage.
May Street between Southern Avenue and Dease Street is scheduled for road reconstruction including watermain and sanitary sewer. The project will begin in early July and continue for approximately 16 weeks. Work will proceed in stages, beginning with the section of May Street between Southern Avenue and Finlayson Street. May Street will be completely closed in this section; please use posted detours. The intersection of May Street & Southern Avenue will be closed to through traffic during the early stages of this construction.
Cleaning and cement mortar lining of existing cast iron watermains will be completed over an eight-week period on the following streets: Dundas Street, Brunswick Street, Cummings Street, Robinson Drive, Melon Street, Stardust Crescent, Lyle Street, Jewell Street and Wishart Crescent. This construction will not involve street closures. Please watch for construction activity and drive with caution.
- Reconstruction of the Court Street Bridge is underway. The bridge will be closed for the duration of the construction, likely into October. Please follow posted detours.
The City’s bi-annual bridge inspection program is underway for 2014. Engineers will be inspecting all the pedestrian and vehicular bridges in the City, and traffic lanes may be closed for short durations as the work progresses.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
- On Golf Links Road between Oliver Road and Linden Court, construction work involving widening the road to four lanes, and installation of sidewalks, trails, and underground storm sewers and watermains is taking place. Additional work will also be undertaken by utility companies on this corridor. The roadway will be closed to through traffic and a detour posted. Local access will be available to residential subdivisions, and hospital access will be maintained.
Valley Street reconstruction and widening is underway between Masters Street and Carl Avenue. Watch for full road closures as work proceeds. Please follow posted signs.
Road resurfacing work on Vickers Street between Victoria Avenue and Donald Street will continue. As part of this work, the traffic signals at the intersection of Vickers Street & Victoria Avenue will be rehabilitated. Watch for lane closures as work proceeds.
London Drive between East Avenue and Market Street is scheduled for full road reconstruction. Local access only. Some driveway disruption is expected.
Road reconstruction work on Leslie Avenue between Lillian Street and Arundel Street is expected to start shortly. Watch for lane closures as work proceeds. Some driveway disruption is expected.
Resurfacing of Conmee Street between Oswald Street and Albany Street is underway. Some driveway disruption is expected. Watch for lane closures as work proceeds.
Replacement work to the traffic signal ducts at the Red River Road & Junot Avenue intersection is underway. There will be lane closures as the work proceeds. Traffic signals will remain in operation. Motorists are requested to use alternate routes during peak traffic periods until the underground construction is complete.
Traffic signal rebuild will be occurring at the intersection of Red River Road & Algonquin Avenue. Lane closures will be necessary as the work proceeds.
Sidewalk replacement on North Street, Isabella Street, Syndicate Avenue, McGregor Street, Archibald Street and Phyllis Street is proceeding. Local traffic only during work periods. Interruptions to driveway access may occur.
Work on Red River Road retaining walls near Martha Street and Waverley Avenue is underway. Watch for traffic lane closures as the work proceeds.
Residential paving is slated for McIntyre Street, Montrose Place and Otway Street. Watch for road closures to through traffic as the work proceeds.
Road resurfacing at the intersections of Red River Road & Algoma Street, and Victoria Avenue & Brodie Street will commence shortly. Watch for lane closures as work proceeds.
Sidewalk replacement on sections of River Street is anticipated. This will result in some traffic lane/road closures and disruptions to local access as the work proceeds.
Updates in 2014 will be issued:
- May 8
- June 5
- July 3
- August 7
- Sept. 4
- Oct. 2
Work on projects may result in traffic disruption. Road closures and detours may result in delays for drivers. Please SLOW DOWN in construction zones and watch for signage and reduced speed limits.