Skip Navigation

Residential Plumbing Permits

  • Yes, if you are altering the plumbing system in any way – repairing it, renewing it, extending it, or modifying it.
  • You will need both a Building Permit Application Form and a Plumbing Information Form.
    Download a Building Permit Application Form   Adobe PDF, 3 pages, 69 KB 
    Download a Plumbing Information Form  Adobe PDF, 1 page, 34 KB
  • You must obtain the permit before you begin the work.
  • Additional information can be found in our 'Guide to Plumbing Applications'.
    Download the Guide to Plumbing Applications  Adobe PDF, 2 pages, 407 KB

Do I need to hire a professional plumber?

  • You may do your own plumbing work on a single detached house that you own and occupy.
  • Otherwise, you will need a plumber or plumbing contractor who is licensed by the City of Thunder Bay.
  • You may not hire an unlicensed plumber to do the work.

What do I need to provide to the city in addition to the completed permit application?

  • Schedule 1: Plumbing designer information, completed, with designer’s signature
    Download Schedule 1  Adobe PDF, 1 page, 33 KB 
  • Isometric drawings of the plumbing system requirements and sample
  • Proof of ownership (either a property deed or tax notice)
  • Written authorization from the owner of the building if the application is submitted by someone other than the owner
  • Permit fee
  • If you are applying for water service for the first time, you will also need a water meter contract from the City Revenue Department at (807) 625-2686

What do I need to do to replace or convert to a City water supply for an existing house?

  • Contact the City Engineering Department at (807) 625-2702 to determine whether the water service ends at the property line or will be extended to the house (this extension requires an additional fee).
  • If you are taking responsibility for the installation, you will also need a plumbing permit. If the City installs the water service, you do not need a permit. You will need a permit for any plumbing work within the house.
Ontario One Call logo

Excavations - call before you dig!

At least five days before you start digging, contact Ontario One Call to arrange for the location of underground utilities.

Dig safe - it's the law.

More information on Ontario One Call.

Plumbing Inspections

Once you receive a permit, it is your responsibility to arrange for inspections.

Call (807) 625-2280 (North Ward) or (807) 625-2868 (South Ward) at least 48 hours in advance to book an appointment. You can call at any time to leave a message.

In most cases, inspections are required at the following stages:

  • Before backfilling for sewer lines constructed from a house to a septic tank or municipal system, or sewer or water pipes constructed from a building to the property line.
  • Before backfilling or pouring a concrete floor for groundwork plumbing.
  • Before covering walls or ceiling for drains, wastes, or vents; these must be water tested to the roof line.
  • Before use or before occupancy of the building for the installation of plumbing fixtures.
  • Other inspections may be performed if the Building Division determines that they are needed. 

City of Thunder Bay
Building Services Division

Address: Victoriaville Civic Centre, 2nd floor
111 Syndicate Avenue S
P.O. Box 800
Thunder Bay,  ON 
P7C 5K4
Tel: (807) 625-2574
Fax: (807) 623-9344

Monday to Friday - 8:30 am to 4:30 pm