Skip Navigation


Marriage 4

Congratulations on your engagement!  

One of your next important steps is adhering to certain provincial requirements, such as the process of applying for a marriage licence. A marriage licence is required in order to be married in Ontario. Marriage licence application forms are available from the Office of the City Clerk in City Hall or by seeing the Marriage Licence Application from Service Ontario

When your application is completed and ready to be submitted, it must be presented to the Office of the City Clerk, First Floor, City Hall, 500 E. Donald St.

You and your partner may choose to submit the application together. However, attendance for both applicants is not necessary. One applicant may bring the required documents (i.e., the IDs for both applicants and the completed application form).

Before you arrive at City Hall to submit the application, please pay special attention to the required documents you must bring by clicking the link directly below


Civil Marriage Services

The City of Thunder Bay offers civil marriage ceremonies in Council Chambers or at a special venue of your choice. There is a fee of $300 plus HST for this service.

NOTE: No refund will be issued if the ceremony is cancelled within 30 days or less prior to the scheduled date, or the applicant(s) do not show up for the ceremony.  One date move is allowed if agreed upon by the Marriage Commmissioner and applicants.  NO exceptions will be made to this policy.

Council Chambers 2

There are two Civil Marriage Commissioners registered with the City of Thunder Bay: 

Trish McGowan (Telephone: 807-623-4679, Cell: 807-621-4254, or Email: )

Marsha Reinikka (Telephone: 807-344-9998, Cell: 807-345-0048, or Email: )

On your special day, consider a Community Centre or, seasonally, the Chippewa Park Pavilion for your reception. The City's many beautiful parks or the Centennial Botanical Conservatory are ideal for wedding photos.

Need more information? Contact us:

City of Thunder Bay
Office of the City Clerk
1st Floor, City Hall
500 E. Donald St.
Thunder Bay, ON
Tel: (807) 625-2230
Fax: (807) 623-5468


Share Your Feedback

Complete our Marriage Commissioner Feedback Form to share your experience with us.