Skip Navigation

City of Thunder Bay Marriage Licence Requirements

Picture showing a couple filling out a a marriage license application

  1. When completing the application, state all given names. Both persons must complete the marriage licence application form in ink and sign the form.  

  2. Both persons must be at least 18 years of age.  The consent of parents or guardians must be obtained before the licence can be issued to anyone who is 16 or 17 years of age.  

  3. Before issuing a marriage licence, proof of legal name of each applicant is required. The Province of Ontario requires that two of the following original valid identification must be provided by each applicant when applying for a marriage licence. Both pieces of ID must have a name and birthdate, as well one must have a photo and signature.  The following original valid identification are acceptable pieces of identification.  Photocopies will not be accepted.

      • Birth Certificate, and/or
      • Current Passport, and/or
      • Canadian Citizenship Card, and/or
      • Landed Immigrant papers, and/or
      • Legal Change of Name Certificate
      • plus one of the pieces of ID must have a photo and signature (e.g. Driver's Licence, Status Card, Ontario Photo Card)

        Overall, TWO pieces of ID each are required. 
        - one must have both a name and birth date
        - one must have both a photo and signature

    a) If you were born in Ontario and do not have an original birth certificate, one can be obtained from the Province of Ontario, 1-800-461-2156. Application forms are available online at or from City Hall. They are also available at any Ontario Land Registry Office. 

    b) If you were born outside of Ontario and do not have an original birth certificate or current passport, you must apply to your Province of Birth for an original birth certificate, or if you were born outside of Canada, you must provide the City with a current Passport, or a Canadian Citizenship Card, or Landed Immigrant papers. 

    c) If you were born outside of Canada and your birth certificate or current passport is in a foreign language, a written translation of the birth certificate or current passport is required. This can be done by a person who is fluent in the language and is not related to either person applying for the marriage licence, or by a company that provides translation services. The person providing the translation must complete an Affidavit that is sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths or Notary Public proving the authenticity of the translation. 

  4. If you have been divorced within Canada, the original Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute, or a Court-certified copy of the same from the Court in which the divorce was granted is required. The Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute will be returned to the applicant. 

  5. If you have been divorced outside of Canada, please see below form for a list of required documents.
    Divorce Outside of Country Form & Instructions List  Adobe PDF, 3 pages, 122KB

  6. If you are a widow or widower, the City does not require proof of death of your former spouse. 

  7. If you are being married in a rural municipality, you must indicate on the application the place, township and county where the ceremony is taking place. 

  8. Licence fee:  $100 cash, Interac™, Visa™, Mastercard™, money order, or certified cheque. 

  9. Marriage Licences are issued Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays. Applicants are encouraged to be at the City Clerk's Office by 4:00 p.m. in order to allow for at least thirty (30) minutes to process the application. 

  10. The marriage licence is valid anywhere in Ontario for three (3) months (90 days) from the date of issue of the marriage licence.