Skip Navigation
 
Living

Central School/Magnus Theatre

10 Algoma Street
Constructed: 1884
Builder: Robert J. Edwards

This was the first permanent school established in the Lakehead. Its brick facade is dominated by a central tower containing a large wheel window over a sill that protects the entrance doors. In 1901, eight more classrooms were added with an addition that blends into the original structure. The site for the school was deliberately selected on a hill so that it could be seen and appreciated by visitors arriving by boat at the docks further down Arthur Street (now Red River Road). This site is now home to Magnus Theatre.

Central School Magnus Theatre

 

Next Property: St. Andrew's Roman Catholic Church