Skip Navigation
 
Living

Ottawa House

38-40 Cumberland Street South
Constructed: 1888

The first Ottawa House was built in 1884 entirely of wood and was lost in a fire shortly after construction. As a result, another Ottawa House was built in the same location, this time made of brick. The Ottawa House was used as a hotel until the mid-1920s, at which time it became a commercial building with various tenants including McFarlene's and Taylor's Men's Wear, the Devon Café, and the Army and Navy Store. Notable architectural features include the wooden cornice at the roofline, the decorative brick brackets between the windows, and the splayed brick that forms an arch between the pairs of windows. Much restoration was done in the late 1980s in an effort to restore the building to its early 20th-century appearance. Renovations included replacing the existing windows, cleaning the brickwork, and repainting. The original balconies were also reconstructed.

Ottawa House

 

Next Property: Bank of Montreal/Prospector Restaurant