Skip Navigation
 
Living

Ruttan Building

4 Court Street North
Constructed: 1909
Architect: H. Russell Halton

This two-storey commercial block, which once held the public library, has a ground floor made of stone, and fluted Ionic columns flanking the main entrance. The second floor is constructed primarily of brick, with stone used for decorative touches such as the exaggerated keystones above the windows and the quoins on the corners of the building. There is also a row of stone dentils running beneath the edge of the cornice. This corner was originally the civic centre of Port Arthur, with the post office and city hall occupying properties to either side.

Ruttan Building

 

Next Property: Masonic Hall