Skip Navigation
 
Living

The Pagoda

Corner of Water Street and Red River Road
Constructed: 1909
Architect: H. Russell Halton

Built specifically to capture the attention of visitors to Port Arthur, the Pagoda does so with an eclectic mixture of Roman, Greek, Indian and Scandinavian architecture. Serving as an information booth since its creation, the octagonal brick building has an Indian-style mushroom roof that was popular in England in the nineteenth century.  The cupola on top of the roof was originally designed so bands could play there to welcome visitors. Above the entrance is a large carved stone panel, depicting a beaver and maple leaves. The panel, carved by a Mr. B. Jones, has been on the Pagoda since the year of its construction. As a publicity stunt in 1961, the Thunder Bay Jaycees painted red, yellow, pink and blue polka dots all over the copper roof of the Pagoda. The Pagoda is the oldest continuously operating tourist information booth in the country.

The Pagoda

 

Next Property: Prince Arthur Hotel