Skip Navigation
 
Living

Waverley Park

Between Red River Road and Waverley Street

Dating back to 1871, this oval-shaped lot located between Arthur Street (now Red River Road) and Waverley Street was designated as parkland and was first used for sporting events such as cricket, baseball and football. In 1874, Central School was built on the east side of the park followed by the building of Port Arthur Collegiate Institute in 1888 (visible in the background of the photo). Soon interest developed in beautifying the park. In June of 1911, a lookout was erected in the southwest corner on the hill beside the high school overlooking the harbour. In September of 1925, a cenotaph was unveiled in memory of the soldiers who died in the First World War. Further beautification of the park was carried out in 1941 with the addition of walking paths and flowerbeds. In June of 1965, the Hogarth Memorial Fountain was unveiled and provided a further enhancement of the park's beauty.

Waverley Park

 

Next Property: Former Port Arthur Collegiate Institute