Skip Navigation
 
Living

H.M.C.S. Griffon

125 Algoma Street North
Constructed: 1895

The Whalen family, who first lived in this house, sold it in 1938 to the sisters of St. Joseph, who used the site as a school. Changing hands again in 1943, the building became part of the site of Her Majesty's Canadian Ship (H.M.C.S.) Griffon. The H.M.C.S. Griffon was the site of recruitment and initial training of over 2,400 members of Canada's Navy during the Second World War and has been the home of the Navel Reserves in Thunder Bay since that time. The building is a shingle-style structure with a first floor of brick and shingled upper stories. Architectural features include the octagonal tower, the steep hipped roof with dormers, small finials on the peaks of the roof and a distinguished entrance with rounded arches. The porch is made of red sandstone from Vert Island.

H.M.C.S. Griffon

 

Next Property: 170 Algoma Street North