Skip Navigation
 
Living

Brodie Street Public Library

216 Brodie Street South
Constructed: 1912
Architect: Hood & Scott

This building is a good example of the Classical Revival style, which was popular from the late 1880s to the 1930s.  The library got its start with a $50,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation in 1908, and the building was completed in 1912. It is constructed of red brick and limestone, featuring large arched windows with prominent keystones, and a massive entrance in the classical style. At the time the new wing was being built, the central entrance was given a face lift. The original columns and arched windows were replaced with more modern plate glass windows. Also of interest are the stained glass portraits of famous authors positioned at the tops of the windows.

Brodie Street Public Library