Skip Navigation
 
Living

St. Patrick High School

621 Selkirk Street South
Constructed: 1931
Architect: R.E. Mason

This building was designed by R.E. Mason and served as the Fort William Vocational Institute until 1957 when its name was changed to Selkirk Collegiate and Vocational School. The building is constructed in a solid and symmetrical fashion. The appearance of low rectangular blocks between stately towers was a common institutional theme for public buildings between 1890 and 1940. This architectural style is known as "collegiate" or Late Gothic Revival. A 15-classroom addition was completed in 1957 and in 1970 a 19-room addition was added. In 1988 Selkirk High School was sold to the Lakehead District Catholic School Board and the name was changed to St. Patrick High School after the old St. Patrick Catholic High School (currently Pope John Paul II Senior Elementary School) located on South Franklin Street. A double gymnasium was added to St. Patrick High School in 1992.

St. Patrick High School