Skip Navigation


Sale of Alcohol in Municipal Facilities and Parks - Municipal Alcohol Policy

The City of Thunder Bay Municipal Alcohol Policy, or MAP, is a step-by-step guide to planning and implementing an event that includes alcohol. Following the guidelines of MAP will assist your organization in avoiding the violations of the law and dangerous situations involving alcohol. Download policy.

Note: The MAP is currently being updated to reflect changes in legislation and facility designation. Event planners requesting the use of a City facility, park or open space for events with alcohol must now provide $5,000,000 liability insurance. 

Liquor Control Board of Ontario

A special occasion permit is required when an organization plans to:

  • sell alcohol at an event, or
  • serve alcohol in an outdoor area, or
  • serve alcohol in any other area which is either open to the public at the time of the event or ordinarily open to the public.

A Special Occasion Permit is not required if liquor is served in a private place, for example, in a private home, indoors and in areas that are not open to the public.

Application forms for a Special Occasions Permit can be obtained at Liquor Control Board of Ontario outlets.

A liquor permit can range from $25 to $75 depending on the purpose of the event. The fee and the application form must be submitted to the Liquor Control Board ten days prior to an indoor reception event and thirty days prior to all other events. You should submit your application well in advance so that the area can be inspected by the proper authorities if necessary.