Skip Navigation


Confirm the availability of the facility you want to use and secure the time of your event in writing. Facility staff can offer advice on how to ensure that your event is successful. To determine the availability of City of Thunder Bay facilities, contact the following individuals or agencies:

Municipal arenas available for rental are: Fort William Gardens, Delaney Arena, Current River Arena, Grandview Arena, Neebing Arena and Port Arthur Arena.

  • Ice rental season is from October 1 to April 15, and one arena is available during the summer. No Skate-a-thons are permitted. To book, call 625-2434.
  • Building rentals are also available during the off-season for socials and special events. For bookings, call 625-2434.

Outdoor Rinks

  • There are several outdoor rinks available from December through March. For more information and booking call 625-2986.

Stadiums include the Port Arthur Stadium and Fort William Stadium.

  • Stadia are in operation from May to November. For bookings, call 625-2434.

Parks Division
The following equipment is available for a fee, with the exception of refuse containers. Availability is subject to scheduling and personnel. The Parks Division will determine the costs for delivery, set up, rental and return delivery.

  • ten refuse containers
  • picnic tables
  • parking barricades
  • snow fencing
  • electrical hook ups
  • bleachers
  • "No Parking" signs
  • park benches
  • step ladders

Chippewa Park  
Chippewa offers amusement rides, wildlife park, swimming, campground with campsites and cabin rentals, picnic field reservations, and pavilion bookings. Potable water is available.

City ball diamonds, soccer fields, football fields, tennis courts and parks can be booked for special events subject to availability. A minimum of one week lead time is required. Contact Cory Auger at 625-2986.

Golf Courses (in season only)
City-operated golf courses accept private tournament bookings on a limited basis. Contact the Director of Golf for more information at 625-2423.

Chapples Golf Course 623-2582
Municipal Golf Course 939-1331
Strathcona Golf Course 683-8251

Private golf courses allow private tournament bookings. Call early to reserve. For more information, look under Golf Courses in the Yellow Pages.

City Parks

Baseball Diamonds
The City of Thunder Bay Parks Division can provide information about baseball diamonds operated by the City and other organizations. Contact Cory Auger at 625-2986.

Swimming Pools - Municipal
Canada Games Complex
The Canada Games Complex makes facilities, services and equipment available to events outside of the Complex, for a fee, with applications reviewed on an individual basis. Available facilities may include individual rooms, the child-care facility, the pool side, the courts and the Thunderslide. Users must cover the cost of lifeguards, instructors, and maintenance overtime. Contact Donna Sippala at 684-3321 .

Sir Winston Churchill and Volunteer Pools
The facilities, equipment and services of Churchill and Volunteer Pools are available for a rental fee, as required, to be reviewed on an individual basis. Alcohol and smoking are prohibited. Equipment includes hand-held radios, megaphones, a starter’s pistol and stop watches; use of equipment does not require a fee but is subject to availability. Services include the use of volunteer first aiders (lifeguards) as well as the use of paid first aiders (lifeguards). A minimum of two staff for two hours is requested. The rescue boat, which comes with one or more volunteer staff, may be available for rental. Availability is contingent upon staff interest and availability as well as whether the event has a good "fit" with the Recreation & Culture Division.

Outdoor Pools
The City’s seasonal swimming facilities include Heath, Dease and Widnall pools, as well as Boulevard Lake and Chippewa Park beach. These facilities are also available for rental during their seasonal operations. Contact Donna Sippala at 684-3321.

Other Pools

  • Lakehead University Pool, call 343-8656
  • Hotel pools are located at various locations throughout the city. For more information, look under Swimming Pools - Public, in the Yellow Pages.

Community Centres
There are fourteen City-run community centres. Individual community centres are listed in the blue pages. Confirm, in writing, the availability of the facility you want to use.

The staff and volunteers of these facilities can provide key advice to ensure your event is successful. Amenities at these facilities include gymnasia, banquet halls, kitchens and meeting rooms. For more information contact Ken Magill at 625-2304.

Thunder Bay Harbour - Summer

  • Harbour Master
    Thunder Bay Port Authority
    P.O. Box 2266
    Thunder Bay, ON  P7B 5E8
    Tel: 345-6400

  • You may also be required to work with the Canadian Coast Guard. Seek advice and guidance from the Harbour Commission concerning the requirements of any submission. Allow adequate lead time in order to ensure that your event will be approved.

Thunder Bay Harbour - Winter
The Thunder Bay Harbour commission will allow the harbour ice to be used for limited number of events each winter, subject to the condition of the ice. Permission to use the harbour ice will only be given to events that either provide an economic benefit to the City of Thunder Bay through tourism revenue, or appeal to a broad segment of the population. Any individual or organization wishing to hold an event on the harbour ice is required to:

  • Make a request in writing to the Manager, Tourism Division

  • Submit an application by September 30 for review

  • Understand that the use of City property to access the ice surface is subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the Rules and Regulations Governing Access to the Harbour Ice

  • Contact the Tourism Division at 625-3231 for more information