Skip Navigation
 
Living

Cemetery History

Mountain View Cemetery was established in 1884 by Peter and John McKellar. At that time, many interments were relocated from a downtown cemetery located on the bank of the Kaministiquia River near the foot of Donald Street (close to Thunder Bay City Hall) to their cemetery on Broadway Avenue.

In 1889, land was purchased by the Roman Catholic Clergy of Fort William from John McKellar to establish St. Patrick's Cemetery adjacent to Mountain View.

These two cemeteries have a very interesting history. Download the following document for further information: