Skip Navigation

Pleasure Craft Operator Card

Canadians are required by law to have proof of competency when operating a motorized watercraft. The PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operators Card) is the most common proof of competency in Canada.

What is A Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

A Pleasure Craft Operator Card proves that you have gained the knowledge to safely operate a motorized pleasure craft on Canada's Waterways.

When Do Boaters in Canada Need a PCOC?

On April 1st, 1999 the Canadian Coast Guard introduced mandatry boating skills and proficiency requirements for all operators of power driven vessels and motorized watercraft. The legislation requires operators of motorized boarts, Personal Watercrafts (PWCs) and powered sailboats carry proof of competency such as a Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC). There is no grandfather clause or age exemption.The federal legislation to obtain proof of competency applies to all persons who operate a powered watercraft fitted with any size moto - even trolling and electric motors.

How do Boaters Obtain Their Card?

The easiest way for boaters to obtain their Pleasure Craft Operator Card is by successfully passing a Transport Canada Accredited, multiple choice exam at Since 2005, BOATsmart! has been a leading provider of the PCOC and offers an easy-to-use online study guide, practice quiz and exam.

Tel:  1-877-792-3926