Skip Navigation

Customs Information


All U.S. citizens aged 16 and older, entering Canada by air (including in-transit passengers who are transferring planes in the U.S.), land or water, must present one of the following documents: a passport or passport card; an Enhanced Driver’s License; or a Trusted Traveler Program Card (SENTRI, NEXUS or FAST Card). Travellers aged 15 and under require a birth certificate for land or sea travel and a passport for air travel. For current requirements go to:


If you are traveling with your own children under the age of 16 and your spouse, bring their birth certificates. If you are traveling with a child other than your own or without your spouse, have the child’s birth certificate along with a letter of permission, including name and contact information for that child’s parents/guardians or your spouse. This is needed in case Customs officers decide to verify you have permission to bring the child into Canada.


Visitors from all other countries require a valid passport and, in some cases, a visitor’s visa. Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. For more information:


Canada Border Services Agency:


Tel: Within Canada:  1-800-461-9999
TTY Within Canada: 1-866-335-3237 
Outside Canada: (204) 983-3500 

U.S. Customs and Border Protection:


Tel: Within the US: 1-877-CBP-5511
TTY Within the US: 1-866
Grand Portage, MN Port of Entry: (218) 475-2244 


Frequently asked questions:





If you or anyone in your party has a felony or misdemeanor conviction, you may not be allowed into Canada. This includes such offences as a DUI. Your admissibility to Canada depends on the nature of the offence, how many offences you have, as well as how long ago it occurred. If this applies to you or someone traveling with you, it is imperative you contact Immigration Canada well in advance of your arrival. You will likely have to complete some paperwork and Immigration Canada authorities will then advise you of the likelihood of being allowed into Canada. Final determination of your admissibility into Canada is only made when you cross the border.


Contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada at  or the Canadian Consulate in New York, NY  regarding any forms you may be required to fill out. You may also wish to call an Immigration Officer at the Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Port of Entry to discuss your situation at 1-800-461-9999 or 1-204-983-3500 (calls outside of Canada). Frequently asked questions for Americans traveling outside of the U.S. are available on these two websites:  or


Questions regarding entry into Canada may be addressed to:

Canadian Border Services Agency

Pigeon River, Ontario Tel: (807) 964-2093
Sault Ste Marie, Ontario Tel: (705) 941-3063

Ontario Tourism - opens new window Victoria Inn Logo Northern Portal - opens new window
Valhalla Inn Logo Golf Thunder Bay OLG Logo

Explore Northwest Ontario

National Car and Truck - opens new window Airline Hotel & Conference Centre - opens new window
Lake Superior Magazine - opens in new window heart of the continent

Fort William Historical Park Logo