In This Issue:
- Catch the Spirit: Olympic Flame Arrives Jan. 3, 2010
- Tourism Thunder Bay Information Centre Christmas Hours
- Upcoming Special Events
- Local Hotel Events and Specials
- Local Exhibits
- Specials in Thunder Bay
- Christmas Holiday Camps
- General Tourist Information including Walking Tours at Fort William Historical Park
Make a day of it! A Sports Spirit Festival with a variety of activities including free swimming and Thunderbolts Diving demonstrations at the Canada Games Complex, free public skating and a Thunder Bay Women’s Hockey Exhibition game at the Port Arthur Arena, skiing clinics and demonstrations at Port Arthur Stadium begin at 1 pm. Live entertainment inside the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium is scheduled from 3 pm-5 and the Community Celebration main event from 6-8 pm. Be there to welcome the arrival of the Olympic Torch and enjoy live performances and entertainment on the outdoor Olympic Stage followed by a fireworks show.
On Jan. 4, Fort William First Nation will host their Torch Relay before the Flame makes its way to Kakabeka Falls and west on to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games.
Watch for more event updates at www.thunderbay.ca/olympics.
Tourism Thunder Bay invites you to visit the Terry Fox Information Centres for information on new things to see and do during the winter months. The Information Centre will be open daily from 9 am to 5 pm, closed on statutory holidays. For more information, visit www.visitthunderbay.com or call (807) 983-2041.
During the Christmas Season the Centre’s hours will be the following:
- Christmas Eve, Dec. 24 – Closed at 12 pm (Noon)
- Christmas Day, Dec. 25 – Closed
- Boxing Day, Dec. 26 – Closed
- Dec. 27 – Open 9 am - 5 pm
- Dec. 28 – Closed
- Dec. 29 – 30 – Open 9am – 5 pm
- New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31 – Closed at 12 pm (Noon)
- New Year’s Day, Jan. 1 – Closed
- Jan. 2 – Open 9 am – 5 pm
- Jan. 3 - 10am - 7pm, due to the arrival of the Olympic Torch.
- Jan. 4 - Back to regular winter hours 9 am – 5 pm, daily.
Tourism Thunder Bay would like to wish everyone and their family a joyous holiday season.
Christmas Gift Market at the Painted Turtle Art Shop
Visit the Painted Turtle at 204 Red River Rd until Dec 19, for their Christmas Gift Market on Fridays from 12 pm - 5 pm, and Saturdays 11 am – 3 pm. For more information, call (807) 344-4636, or visit www.paintedturtleart.com.
Don’t Miss the Annual Parade of Lights!
On Dec. 5 bring your family down to Memorial Ave and enjoy the 11th Annual Parade of Lights for Children in support of local children’s charities. Starting at 7 pm, the parade will make its way from Main St down Memorial Ave to Queen St. For more information, visit www.paradeoflightsforchildren.com.
Explore the Heart of the Harbour at Art Zoom 2009.
On Dec. 5 the Heart of the Harbour BIA invites you to Art Zoom 2009. Come out and explore the arts in various venues throughout downtown Thunder Bay North. Enjoy visual arts, listening to live music and entertainers, writers, tour galleries and studios, and much more. For more information, visit www.artzoom.ca.
December Events at the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium
The Thunder Bay Community Auditorium, invites you to these December events. Visit www.tbca.com or call (807) 684-4444 for more information.
- Dec. 2 – Little Bear - Winter Tails
- Dec. 4 – 5 – Fort William Male Choir – Prelude to Christmas
- Dec. 6 – A Dancer’s Christmas Fantasy
- Dec. 9 – The Canadian Tenors
- Dec. 18 – 19 – The Nutcracker
- Dec. 20 – Bobby Curtola
Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra Warms Up December.
All performances take place at the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium unless otherwise noted. For more information, visit www.tbso.ca or call (807) 4174-2284.
- Dec. 8 – Baroque & Beyond @ Hilldale Lutheran Church
- Dec. 12 – Holiday Pops
Magnus Theatre Closes Out 2009.
Dad’s 2: The Toddler’s Revenge, running until Dec. 12, is Magnus Theatre’s final play for 2009. Don’t miss this theatrical treat. For more information, visit www.magnus.on.ca, or to purchase tickets, call (807) 345-5552.
Winter Happenings at Fort William Historical Park
Fort William Historical Park invites you to take in one of their December events. For more information, visit www.fwhp.ca, e-mail email@example.com, or call (807) 473-2344
- Dec. 11 - 13, and 17 – 20 – A Christmas Carol: Rogue Production Theatre.
- Dec. 31 – New Years Eve Family Frolic.
Classic Movies Playing at Paramount Theatre
Paramount Theatre, located at 24 Court St S, invites you to a screening of the following classic movies. Movies will be shown at 7 pm and 9 pm. For more information, visit www.paramounttheatre.ca or call 345-1780.
- Dec. 6 – Breakfast at Tiffany’s & Roman Holiday
- Dec. 13 – Holiday & The Shop Around the Corner
- Dec. 20 – A Christmas Story & National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
Celebrate Christmas with the Travelodge Hotel Airlane
Take part in one of the Travelodge Hotel Airlane’s holiday buffets and parties, or enjoy some catering during the month of December.
- Until Dec. 23 – Yuletide Lunch Buffet in the River Rock & Grill. Monday to Friday, 11:30 am – 1:30 pm. For more information or to make a reservations call (807) 473-1608.
- Dec. 11 – Small Business Christmas Party. For more information, or to book your group call (807) 473-1646.
- Dec. 25 - Christmas Day Buffet Dinner. Seating between 4 pm – 7:15 pm. For more information, or to make reservations call (807) 473-1608.
- Christmas Dinner to Go. To book a full holiday dinner to go, call the catering department at (807) 473-1646.
- Dec. 31 – New Year’s Eve Buffet Dinner. For more information, or to book a reservation call (807) 473-1608.
Celebrate Christmas with the Valhalla Inn
The Valhalla Inn is hosting several special events for the holidays. Enjoy a package deal, or stay the night in one of their 60 newly-renovated rooms, including two luxury suites with wet bars, large Jacuzzi tubs and walk-in showers. For more information, visit www.valhallainn.com or call (807) 577-1121.
- Until Dec. 28 – Festival of Trees
- Valhall – ahh Weekend getaways: packages including dinner and a stay at the hotel in one of their newly renovated rooms.
- Friday Nights – Live Blues in the Nordic Lounge
- Christmas Dinner to Go. Book a dinner for eight – 10 people for Christmas Day.
Events at the Thunder Bay Art Gallery
The Thunder Bay Art Gallery is holding the following exhibits or activities beginning in December. For more information, visit www.theag.ca.
- Until Jan 17 – GIVN’R: Terrance Houle.
- Until Jan 17 – Pictures of Me: Sheila Spence.
The Lake Superior Art Gallery Exhibits & Workshops
The Lake Superior Art Gallery, 605 E. Victoria Ave, presents the following exhibits/events for the month of December. For more information, visit www.lakesuperiorartgallery.com, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (807) 285-5538 or (807) 627-2656.
- Until Dec. 21: Digital Fine Arts Exhibits. Digital Fine Art Society of Thunder Bay and the Lake Superior Art Gallery are proud to announce their collaboration in this newest exhibit titled "Absolute Devitation: Where the Value of the Difference is Realized".
- Until Dec. 7: Acrylic Painting on Canvas. Learn how to adapt watercolour techniques to acrylic, and methods adapted from oil painting with instructor Peggy Moran. Classes are from 6 - 9:30 pm.
December Happenings at Definitely Superior Art Gallery:
Definitely Superior Art Gallery is holding the following exhibits for the month of December. For more information, visit www.definitelysuperior.com or call (807) 344-3814
- Dec. 5: Opening Reception for 3 exhibitions. Exhibit runs until Jan. 9: “Connections” 21st Anniversary Regional Juried exhibition, Kathleen Baleja – Recent Work, and Digital Playgrounds by Carol Cooper & Duncan Weller.
- Dec. 12: A Publishing House Launch Party. A new publishing house that will serve Northwestern Ontario and hundreds of literary artists with support from the Ontario Arts Council.
Ahnisnabae Art Gallery represents local Nations Art.
Ahnisnabae Art Gallery invites you to their gallery at 7 – 1500 James St S for a continuously running show of our local artists and crafts. Open weekdays between 11 am -7 pm, and Saturdays from 12 noon – 5 pm. For more information, call (807) 577-2656 or visit www.ahnisnabae-art.com.
$5 Drop-ins at the Sports Dome
The Sports Dome is offering $5 Drop-ins all winter long. Come and enjoy a game of soccer, badminton, tennis, ball hockey, basketball, dodgeball, volleyball, flag football, or ultimate frisbee! For more information, visit www.thesportsdome.ca. To confirm drop-in times call (807) 625-0110. Following are days and times of activities:
- Volleyball (Court) - Mondays 6 - 7 pm
- Dodgeball (Court) - Tuesdays 7 - 8:30 pm
- Basketball (Court) - Wednesdays 6 - 8 pm
- Tennis (Court) - Thursdays 6 - 8 pm
- Badminton (Court) - Friday 6 - 8 pm
- Soccer (S Field) - Saturdays 8 - 10 pm
- Ultimate Frisbee (S Field) - Sundays 8 - 8:30 pm
Finish Your Holiday Shopping …. ALONE!
Between Dec. 21 - 23 and 28 – 30. Thunder Bay Gymnastics would like to invite kids of all ages to either of the following half-day or full-day camps below. Kids will enjoy a mix of gymnastics, crafts, games and much more. For more information, visit www.tbga.ca or call (807) 628-8474.
- Half-Day Camp – Ages 4 - 12 and older. 9 am – 12 pm or 1 pm – 4 pm. $20.
- Full-Day Camp – Ages 5 and older. 9 am – 4 pm. $35.
Seasonal Walking Tours at the Fort
Throughout the winter, Fort William Historical Park is offering walking tours Monday to Friday at 11 am and 2 pm. Tours are roughly 90 minutes and start at the Fort’s Administration Building. Please dress accordingly! For more information, visit www.fwhp.ca, e-mail email@example.com, or call (807) 473-2344.
Toy Sense … Where Toys Make Sense!
Toy Sense, located at 447 North May St, invites you in to see their giant selection of specialty toys – over 8,500 toys in stock! Come explore a full line of children’s toys with knowledgeable sales staff in a fun and friendly shopping environment. For more information, visit www.toysense.ca, or call (807) 624-2765 or 1-888-219-2556.
Give A Christmas Gift from Chippewa Park.
Show someone you love them by buying a gift that will benefit the community. Why not buy a board or membership to The Friends of Chippewa Park for only $10 for an individual membership, or $25 for the whole family? With a purchase of a membership, you help preserve over 80 years of history and memories, maintain a family park for current and future generations, and improve our quality of life as you create a connection with the natural gem that is Chippewa Park. For more information, visit www.chippewapark.ca.
Get in Gear with Gear-up.
Celebrating 23 years of business. Gear-up for Outdoors has grown and expanded to become one of the largest outdoor retailers of high-quality name brand tents, packs, clothing, outerwear, boots and shoes. And that’s not all. MORE ....
Thunder Bay Adventure Trail Gets Ready for 2010.
Find out about Thunder Bay Adventure Trails latest happening. MORE....
All locations of the Thunder Bay Public Library offer free public internet access computers and wireless (WIFI) service. For more information, including locations and hours of operation, please visit the Virtual Library 24/7 at www.tbpl.ca.
Chenier Fine Arts, the Purple Gallery
Located at 8 Court St S., the Purple Gallery showcases a diverse selection of original art created by established and emerging national, regional and international artists. View over 250 hand selected original artworks by over 95 artists. Regular hours are Tuesday to Friday 11 am – 5 pm and Saturday 11 am to 4 pm, and by appointment. Take advantage of the free two-hour parking in the Downtown North Core on Saturdays. For more information, call Debra (807) 346-0409 or visit www.chenierfinearts.ca. Chenier Fine Arts offers professional custom picture framing services and informative consultations. Together, Debra and Jean Chenier have over five decades of experience in assisting clients in the selection of appropriate framing.
Downtown Artisans & Farmers Market
The Downtown Artisans & Farmers Market is open at 507 E Victoria Ave. It’s open year-round with fresh produce, freshly prepared foods, entertainment and the work of local artists. For more information, contact Jim at (807) 622-1718.
Hold Your Special Event at Lakehead University
Lakehead University has year-round facilities for conferences, workshops, meetings, retreats, and reunions for 15-200 people. They offer catering, A/V, and video conferencing for events. For more information, call (807) 343-8799 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comfort Inn Thunder Bay Celebrates Fall with Great Savings!
Check in for great rates and service. Our professional, hospitable staff await your arrival. Plan your get away by calling (807) 475-3155 and ask for your special “E-news rate”.
The Canada Games Complex has 'Something for every BODY'.
Open seven days a week and 363 days a year, come enjoy the multi-faceted recreational facility that offers aquatic, fitness and recreational activities to people of all ages. Enjoy the 77-meter pool, a variety of diving towers and boards, the 73-meter Thunderslide and badminton and ping-pong tables on the pool deck. Weightrooms and whirlpools along with new on-deck change areas for families and people with disabilities are also available. Daily admission rates are very affordable.
Swim, splash, laugh, unwind, move, enjoy! Families are at the Heart of the Complex. For more information, visit www.gamescomplex.com.
Ontario’s Largest Indoor Family Fun & Entertainment Facility – “Where Weather is Guaranteed”.
Located next to Intercity Shopping Centre, The Sports Dome is Ontario’s largest air-filled dome structure at 87,000 sq ft of family fun and entertainment. The Sports Dome offers a wide variety of sporting activities including mini-putting, driving range, multi purpose turf field and much more. Full menu concession and licensed bar available. Open from 8am to 11pm daily. Check out www.thesportsdome.ca for upcoming events and activities. Book ahead or drop in at your convenience.