The Municipal Alcohol Policy (MAP) guides decisions on the use of alcohol at events in City facilities, parks and open spaces. Under the Liquor Licence Act, the City is authorized to recommend to the AGCO permission for applicants to have alcohol at designated City facilities, parks and open spaces. 

Revised MAP (2021)

Revisions to the MAP were approved in April 2021. These revisions reflect changes in legislation, designated facilities for alcohol use, public health recommendations and new/emerging types of events requesting alcohol use on City property. Be sure to review the revised Policy, List of Designated Facilities, and Controls for Limiting the Use of Alcohol at Events prior to planning your event:

Special Occasion Permits

Special Occasion Permits (SOPs) allow the sale and service of alcohol for special occasions and are administered by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario. The City must recommend permission for an event organizer to host an event with alcohol on City property prior to an SOP being issued.

For outdoor public events, applicants requesting an SOP must provide the following notification to both the City and AGCO:

  • 30 days notice, if fewer than 5,000 attendance
  • 60 days notice, if greater than 5,000 attendance

Required Signage 

Please download and display the following signage at your event in all ticket sale areas and bar areas:

Additional required signage to be provided by the permit holder:

  • Special Occasion Permit
  • Restricted Areas - "No Alcohol Beyond This Point"

Helpful links


Contact Us