Notice of Passing: Zoning Amendment at 184 Brent Street

Posted On Monday October 26, 2020
Applicant Site Plan
Applicant Site Plan

The Thunder Bay City Council passed By-law 113/2020 on the 19th day of October 2020, under Section 34 of the Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, as amended.

All comments received were considered as part of Council’s decision making process. Council has determined that the application is consistent with all relevant planning legislation and represents good planning.

The decision of City Council is final if a notice of appeal is not received before or on the last day for filing a notice of appeal, November 16th, 2020.

Purpose and effect of by-law

The purpose of this By-law is to:

  • Add an APARTMENT DWELLING with a maximum of 4 DWELLING UNITS as a permitted use on an interior lot.
  • Reduce the minimum required LOT FRONTAGE to 20.0 metres from 22.0 metres.
  • Reduce the minimum required LOT AREA to 643.0 square metres from 660.0 square metres
  • Reduce the DRIVEWAY width for two-way traffic leading to a PARKING AREA to 4.5 metres from 6.0 metres. 
  • Reduce the minimum required FRONT YARD SETBACK to 4.2 metres from 6.0 metres.
  • Increase the minimum required interior side yard setback (south) to 2.6 metres from 1.5 metres.

The effect of this bylaw would allow the construction of a four unit two-storey Apartment Dwelling at 184 Brent Street

This By-law applies only to the lands described in By-law Number 113/2020 and does not affect any other lands. A key map showing the location of the lands to which this By-law applies is attached.

How to appeal

Any person or public body may appeal to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT) in respect of the By-law by completing the Appellant Form (A1) available from the LPAT website at and submitting it to:

Dana Earle, City Clerk

City Hall, 500 Donald St. E.

Thunder Bay, ON P7E 5V3

no later than the 16th day of November, 2020. The Appellant Form must set out the reasons for appeal, accompanied by the fee required by the Tribunal ($1100.00, certified cheque or money order payable to the Minister of Finance). 

Right to appeal

Only individuals, corporations and public bodies may appeal a by-law to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal. A notice of appeal may not be filed by an unincorporated association or group.  However, a notice of appeal may be filed in the name of an individual who is a member of the association or the group on its behalf. 

No person or public body shall be added as a party to the hearing of the appeal unless, before the by-law was passed, the person or public body made oral submissions at the public meeting or written submissions to the council or, in the opinion of the Tribunal, there are reasonable grounds to add the person or public body as a party.

Additional information

At this time there are no other applications, under the Planning Act, pertaining to the subject lands

The complete By-law is available for inspection at City Hall - Office of the City Clerk during regular office hours, please call 807-625-2230 for more information or to make an appointment.


Contact Us