Notice of Passing: Zoning By-law Amendment at 1154 John Street Rd

Posted On Tuesday June 18, 2019
Key Map
Key Map

The Thunder Bay City Council passed By-law 42/2019 on the 17th day of June, 2019, under Section 34 of the Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, as amended.

As no public comment, written or oral, has been received, Council’s Decision was not affected by comments received from the public. 

The decision of City Council is final if a notice of appeal is not received before or on the last day for filing a notice of appeal, 8th day of July, 2019.

Purpose and Effect of By-law

The purpose of By-law Number 42/2019 is to amend By-law 100-2010, as amended, the City of Thunder Bay Zoning By-law, as it applies to Lots 61 and 62, Registered Plan 547 and Part of Lot 60, Registered Plan 547 described as Parts 18 and 19 on Reference Plan 55R-13613, municipallliy known as 1142/1146/1150/1154 John Street Road.

Specifically, this by-law establishes an "MU2" - Mixed Use Zone 2 on the subject lands, amends the general regulations and the regulations of the MU2 Zone to accommodate the construction of 3 proposed 4-unit dwellings and modifies the definition of dwelling, and establishes associated development parameters.

The effect of this amendment is to facilitate the construction of 3 single story 4 unit dwellings on the property, in addition to other uses permitted by the MU2 Zone.

This By-law applies only to the lands described in By-law Number 42/2019 and does not affect any other lands. A key map showing the location of the lands to which By-law applies is attached.

How to Appeal

Any person or public body may appeal to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT) in respect of the By-law by completing the Appellant Form (A1) available from the LPAT website and submitting it to:

John Hannam, City Clerk

City Hall, 500 Donald St. E.

Thunder Bay, ON P7E 5V3 

no later than the 8th day of July, 2019. The Appellant Form must detail the objection to the By-law and the reasons for appeal, accompanied by the prescribed fee ($300.00, certified cheque or money order payable to the Minister of Finance). 

Right to Appeal

Only individuals, corporations and public bodies may appeal a by-law to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal. A notice of appeal may not be filed by an unincorporated association or group.  However, a notice of appeal may be filed in the name of an individual who is a member of the association or the group on its behalf. 

No person or public body shall be added as a party to the hearing of the appeal unless, before the by-law was passed, the person or public body made oral submissions at the public meeting or written submissions to the council or, in the opinion of the Tribunal, there are reasonable grounds to add the person or public body as a party.

Additional Information

The lands to which this By-law applies are also the subject of an application for a consent to sever this property, Files No. B-26-2019, B-27-2019, and B-28-2019, which are being reviewed by the City.

The complete By-law is available for inspection in the Office of the City Clerk in the 3rd floor of City Hall during regular office hours.

For more information about this matter including information about appeal rightsor if you require accessible accommodations or materials, please contact Decio Lopes at (807) 625-2552 or



Key Map

Contact Us