Fire Cause Determined To Be Careless Disposal of Smoking Materials

Posted On Thursday June 04, 2020

An investigation by Thunder Bay Fire Rescue has concluded that the structural fire that occurred at 330 Lillie St. North on June 2, 2020, was the result of careless disposal of smoking material. Cigarette butts were found in the landscaped area that was covered in wood chips outside of an entrance to the building. Once ignited the fire spread to insulation on the outside of the building. Limited smoke entered the building and residents weren’t required to be evacuated.

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue is working with Administration of St Josephs Care Group to address a plan to better enforce the use of designated smoking areas.

Acting Fire Chief Greg Hankkio reminds residents “to dispose of smoking materials into a metal container with water in it to ensure they are out. Cigarette butts can smolder for days.” Careless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths.

- 30 -

Contact: Kevin Anderson, Public Education Officer, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue, 628-4921

Contact Us