There are many ways to get involved in the City's Public Art Program, whether as an artist or a supporter of the arts.


Shape the growth of public art in Thunder Bay as a Public Art Committee Member. Be part of the team that provides expertise and input for the public art program, and take part in competitions as a jury member.

We also have other volunteer opportunities throughout the year at various cultural programs and events.

Trust Fund for Art in Public Spaces

The City has established a Trust Fund for Art in Public Spaces to provide:

  • An ongoing mechanism to ensure the acquisition of works of art for the community to enjoy in its public spaces.
  • Opportunities for the public to participate in and demonstrate its support for the acquisition of works of art.
  • Display of public works of art which communicate across language and cultural barriers.
  • An opportunity for artists to have their works purchased for public display while contributing to the aesthetic environment of the community.
  • Opportunities for the community to purchase works of art by regional and local artists while their artwork is available and attainable. 
  • Maintenance and conservation of existing works in the collection.
  • Donations towards the Trust Fund are accepted and a tax receipt is issued for gifts over $10. Naming opportunities exist for specific works of art.

Donations can be made to:

City of Thunder Bay - Trust Fund for Art in Public Spaces
Community Services Department
Recreation & Culture Division
Victoriaville Civic Centre
111 Syndicate Avenue South
Thunder Bay ON
P7E 6S4


There are many opportunities to Sponsor one of our cultural events or programs. Email the Cultural Development and Events Supervisor.

Donate Artwork

Many works of art in the City's collection have been generously donated by members of the community. If you have artwork you'd like to donate to the City's collection, please refer to the Art Donation Form. 

If you are a member of an organization, community group or business and are considering commissioning large scale public art destined for outdoor display on City property, please use the Commissioning Public Art for City-Owned property form which can be obtained by emailing our Cultural Development and Events Supervisor.

Contact Us