What is Adult Inclusion Services?

Adult Inclusion Services is open to anyone in Thunder Bay 18 years of age or older with a disability.

We offer limited FREE facilitation services to adults with accessibility needs who want to participate in City programming and access Recreation services and facilities. Fees will still be required for access to facilities and programs.


Where we operate

Inclusion Services can help remove barriers in all City Recreation & Culture programming located in The Key and our facilities include:


Steps to take

If you're interested in accessing our service, please mail, drop off or fax your application form or fill out our online application form.

Call 684-3338 for more information.


Frequently asked questions

Who can access these services?

Any person 18+ with a disability according to the Ontarians with a Disability Act, after completing an intake form. Those under 18 can access Junior Inclusion Services. If you have a disability and can access our facilities, services and programs on your own or with your own support you may not benefit from our facilitator services.

What does this service cost?

There is no fee for service. However, participants will have to pay for programming, services or facility access where the facilitation takes place. Ask about our Accessible admission or memberships at the facility you go to.

What will my schedule look like?

You will receive a weekly 1 to 1.5 hour session with your facilitator. Both you and the facilitator are to agree on a specific date and time and adhere to that as consistently as possible.

Is there a limit to how long or how much I can access this service?

Due to demand and facilitator capacity there are limits to how much service can be accessed. Adults receive one 1 to 1.5 hour session per week. There is currently to limit on length of access, however this may change.

Do I need a PAL card to access these services?

No, but you can have both if you want. PAL cards are for people with a disability who want to bring their own support person when accessing City Recreation and Culture facilities. This card allows the support person free entrance while the PAL card holder pays admission or programming costs at participating locations.

Will you provide support at the Boys and Girls Club, going to a movie etc.?

No, Junior Inclusion Services and Adult Inclusion Services are an internal support service for programs put on by the Recreation and Culture Division or City Recreation Facilities. 

Do I register for a program or talk to Inclusion Services first?

We do request that you check with Inclusion Services staff before registering for a program. This is so we can coordinate a Facilitator being available for the program/dates you register for. Sometimes we can no accommodate specific dates and times requested.

Can I have two support workers to provide support?

Due to staffing resources and participant requests we can only provide one Inclusion Services Facilitator per participant. 

What if I can't afford the facility admission or program costs?

If you meet the low income cut off you may be eligible for a credit through the Affordable Access to Recreation Subsidy which can be applied to many City Recreation facilities and programs.

Do you provide transportation?

We do not provide or organise transportation for our Inclusion participants. 


If you require a PDF in an accessible format, email our Municipal Accessibility Specialist.

Contact Us