City Council and Committee of the Whole meetings are held on Mondays as per the approved calendar.  All meetings will be held at City Hall and are currently running with electronic and in-person participation due to COVID-19 restrictions.  Residents can view meetings live on Shaw Spotlight Channel 10 or Tbaytel Digital TV on Channel 110.  Pre-screening is required prior to entrance of the building.  Physical distancing is in place and masks are required.  Deputations can be requested by contacting the Office of the City Clerk by phone at 625-2230 or by filling out the online form.  Deputations are currently available via MS Teams, in writing, via phone (audio) or in person in Council Chambers.

Citizens can also watch meetings online. 

Read more about meetings of City Council and view the online meeting calendar.


Upcoming City Council meetings

How decisions are made

Council and Committee of the Whole meetings are held in accordance with the

Council & Committees Procedural By-law BL 51-2021. Members of City Council participate in Committee of the Whole meetings to examine and review corporate reports and recommendations from administration. Each month, Committee of the Whole sessions are held for:

  • Community Services
  • Planning
  • Operations
  • Administrative Services

Members of Council, by resolution, make decisions out of Committee of the Whole meetings and then they are ratified at City Council meetings. Other committees are established by Council to undertake statutory responsibilities as delegated by Council or to implement policies approved by Council including:

  • Committee of Adjustment
  • Heritage Advisory Committee
  • Ad Hoc Advisory Committees as approved at the discretion of Council to review a specific issue within a specified timeframe

Your input

City Council and Administration welcome your input on the issues that concern residents and organizations in Thunder Bay. You can submit a request to speak to City Council by filling out this Request to Speak to Council form (Coming Soon) or by writing to the Office of the City Clerk.

Citizens are also welcome to submit petitions to the Office of the City Clerk.

Questions regarding Committee of the Whole and City Council meetings can be directed to the Office of the City Clerk.

Contact Us